How kids Understand Artificial Intelligence: Beginner-friendly Courses
Image Source: Canva
Artificial intelligence is a hot topic in the world of technology these days. You may have seen it pop up more and more in the media, or you might be wondering what it really means. In this post, we’ll break down how to understand artificial intelligence basics so that you or even your kids can get started with AI today!
1. What is artificial intelligence?
Image Source: Canva
Artificial Intelligence is a branch of computer science that involves the development of machines capable of intelligent behaviour. AI research deals with the question of how to create computers that are capable of intelligent behaviour.
In practical terms, AI applications can be deployed in a number of ways, including:
– Machine learning: This is a method of teaching computers to learn from data, without being explicitly programmed.
– Natural language processing: This involves teaching computers to understand human language and respond in a way that is natural for humans.
– Robotics: The use of robots to carry out tasks that would otherwise be difficult or impossible for humans to do.
– Predictive analytics: This is a method of using artificial intelligence algorithms to make predictions about future events.
– Computer vision: The ability of computers to interpret and understand digital images
2. History of AI
Image Source: The Independent
In the early 1900s, mathematicians and scientists such as Gottfried Leibniz and Alan Turing began to explore the possibility of creating machines that could think like humans. This work laid the foundations for modern AI research.
During the following decades, AI research progressed rapidly and led to significant discoveries. In 1959, IBM’s Deep Blue became the first computer with a program that could win a chess game in competition against human players. Later on in 2011, Watson won an episode of Jeopardy!, beating former champions Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings . Although these were special-purpose computers built for playing games or solving trivia questions, they showed how powerful modern AI had become.
Since then there has been tremendous progress across many areas such as machine vision (e.g., recognizing objects), speech recognition (understanding spoken language) and natural language processing (producing written sentences). Today we use this technology every day without thinking about it.
3. Types of AI
– Narrow AI : This type of machine learning focuses on performing a specific task. Applications include self-driving cars or autonomous flying drones that can navigate their environment without human input. Facebook’s language translation service uses narrow AI to translate between different languages.
– Generalized AI : Also known as Strong AI , this refers to machines that are able to perform any intellectual task that humans do. We don’t yet have generalized AIs because they require more processing power than computers currently possess and it also requires the ability for them learn from experience in order to become better at certain tasks after being given feedback by its users .
4. Applications of AI in everyday life
– Smartphones: AI is used extensively in smartphones for tasks such as face recognition, speech recognition and natural language processing. Apple’s Siri and Google Now are two well-known examples of smartphone assistants that use AI algorithms.
– Autonomous vehicles: The development of autonomous or self-driving cars has been one of the most high profile areas of AI research in recent years. Companies like Tesla, Uber and Waymo are all working on developing autonomous vehicles.
– Robotics: Robotics has benefited from the growth of AI in recent years. Robots can now be given instructions to carry out complex tasks by learning from various videos shown to it.
5. How to understand basics of artificial intelligence with these courses from SKILLIT!
One doesn’t need to have any prerequisite knowledge to learn these courses since everything is taught from basics w/o any presumptions of student’s knowledge. This knowledge is given to these students in very practical and playful manner. Hundreds of real life examples are used to explain complex concepts. This makes students think on themselves and imagine world with different point of view in which automation is using artificial intelligence are the key factors. To understand more complex concepts we use projects which students enjoy making while learning these concepts. This makes them even more curious about the technology.
The AI courses are designed on different levels. Level one starts from basics of artificial intelligence and machine learning and making few projects without any coding involved. In level two students make their own AI projects using python programming. The knowledge of programming needed to make these projects is also covered in the same course. They also learn concepts like neural networks with simple examples in day to day lives. In level three they start learning concepts like natural language processing which helps them to make their own virtual personal assistant like Alexa and Siri. They make these assistants and look forward to improve those on their own. These assistants can be used for many automation projects like home automation car automation etc.
6. Pros and cons of AI technology
AI is a powerful technology that will impact our future in many ways. It has its pros and cons, but we need to understand the basics before making conclusions about them.
Pros:1. Can automate repetitive tasks like analyzing large amounts of data or performing customer service without additional costs
2. Better quality products – more personalized goods and services
3. New jobs created for those who know how to use this advanced tech
Cons:1. Inequality as some people might lose their job due automation (though it would be temporary)
2. Ethical issues such as cyber attacks with drones or automated weapons systems used against humans etc.